Source – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gMUbEAUFw

This video is one in which the students follow along as the video demonstrates by music and visuals how to do this specific dance. In this case, the dance is the cha-cha slide accompanied as it always is by the song cha-cha slide. However, the video itself doesn’t prompt this interaction directly except perhaps a few subtle visual cues that may indicate that the purpose is to follow around. However, I think unless it was presented as something to follow along too many children would not pick on a cue such as pointing to his feet when he stomps as an instructional demonstration of sorts.

I think the ways students might respond is extremely dependant on the situation and location they find themselves in, even unprompted in a gym class or open space where they are standing some may dance along. However, in a seated classroom it seems more likely that many students would likely simply watch the video and make no move to copy what they are observing.  In order to truly get all the students involved, I believe some introduction or prefacing would be necessary.

If used in a learning environment, I would encourage the students to follow along. Depending on the age group and their skill level, possibly do it several times to allow everyone to begin to feel more comfortable. Besides a video screen, everyone would only need themselves and some physical space to effectively participate. It could be an excellent transition activity, allowing students to warm up and gain a greater sense of physical literacy before breaking into groups to create their own dance.

If I was to recommend some changes to the video itself, I believe some more direct prompting to follow along would be a positive addition. Perhaps a visual or audio prompt at the beginning to “get up and try it for yourself” could be a good addition. While many of the visual effects make the video more fun and engaging and even more accessible, they at times go a bit overboard and distract from the actual dancing. Some simplification or removal of some of these effects would be helpful, and still maintain the enjoyable and dynamic style of the video!